How do I find a case law?
Use the following resources to help find your case:
- Law reports at the State Library. The Library holds a selection of law reports. If your case has been published in a law report you may find it in the Library.
- Cases on AustLII. Find cases from all Australian jurisdictions.
Where can I find US case law?
Google Scholar provides full text searching of all levels of both US court systems (Federal & State). One option is to search by the case name (e.g., Roe v Wade), or by under citation (e.g., 163 U.S. 537).
Where can I find case law in South Africa?
SAFLII. The Southern African Legal Information Institute (SAFLII) publishes legal information for free public access which comprises mainly of case law and legislation from South Africa.11 мая 2020 г.
What are examples of case law?
When they sue their landlord, the court must use the previous court’s decision in applying the law. This example of case law refers to two cases heard in the state court, at the same level.
What is the difference between common law and case law?
Common law, also known as case law, is a body of unwritten laws based on legal precedents established by the courts. Common law draws from institutionalized opinions and interpretations from judicial authorities and public juries. Common laws sometimes prove the inspiration for new legislation to be enacted.
What does R stand for in law?
The letter R commonly represents Regina, the latin term for the Queen. In criminal proceedings, “R” refers to the Crown or the Commonwealth.
What does case law include?
Case Law, often used interchangeably with the term Common Law, refers to the precedents and authority set by previous court rulings, judicial decisions and administrative legal findings or rulings. … This means that a court will rule according to a previously established decision or finding.
Is justia legit?
Justia is a well known and reputable company.
What is justia law?
Justia is an American website specializing in legal information retrieval. It was founded in 2003 by Tim Stanley, formerly of FindLaw, and is one of the largest online databases of legal cases. The company is headquartered in Mountain View, California.
How do you summarize a case in law in South Africa?
- Set out your heading: “case name and citation” in bold, capital letters.
- Sub-headings: set out the headings for: legal question, Facts, Arguments, Decision. …
- First find the legal question and type it out next to your sub-heading.
- Find the facts, arguments, reasoning and decision of the case and type it out under.
How do you read case law?
Reading a Case Citation
- the names of the parties involved in the lawsuit.
- the volume number of the reporter containing the full text of the case.
- the abbreviated name of that case reporter.
- the page number on which the case begins the year the case was decided; and sometimes.
- the name of the court deciding the case.
How do you read a case citation?
A case citation is a standard way of uniquely describing a case.
A citation for a reported judgment should contain:
- names of the parties (with a v in between)
- identifying date or volume number of report series, or both.
- abbreviation for the law report series title.
- page number at which the case begins.
What is another name for case law?
Alternate Synonyms for “case law”:
common law; precedent; law; jurisprudence. civil law.
What are examples of law?
The definition of law is a set of conduct rules established by an authority, custom or agreement. An example of law is don’t drink and drive.